2021 Herb CSA Program
The Herb CSA runs from June - Oct (5 shares in total).
Cost: $360.00 (value of over $800)
Each month members receive:
- Two herbal preparations made from farm-grown medicinal plants, designed to meet seasonal health needs and address common-place ailments.
- A written description about each preparation explaining how it works, when to use each, dosage etc. (you will be learning some of the basics of herbal first-aid).
- One medicinal herb to be your 'study plant' for that month.
- Step-by-step DIY instructions on how to make your own herbal remedy with your months 'study plant' (you will be learning some of the basics of herbal medicine-making).
- A monograph of your 'study plant' with information about origin, appropriate harvesting, scientific findings as well as traditional-uses.
Along with the monthly shares, members will also receive (online or in-person):
- A FARM TOUR to see, smell, taste, meet and discover the plants as they grow, as well as;
- A ONE (1) HOUR one-on-one consultation with Nikola to answer questions about your study plants, medicine making techniques, herb growing, family health or other related topics.
By the end of the season, members will have gained:
- TEN herbal preparations for their health and wellness, with an understanding of how and when to use them.
- A deeper relationship with FIVE different 'study plants', including a monograph of each for your records and later reference.
- Hands-on experience with FIVE different herbal medicine-making techniques.
- In-person experience with the plants as they grow, through the farm tour.
- In-depth questions answered through the one-on-one consultation.
Herb CSA Members become part of our larger farm community! It is our hope that the 2021 season will inspire and connect us all more deeply to the plants that heal us, to the land and to each other. It is an honour to be growing this year within the Waterloo Region, on the Treaty Lands and Territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit. I sincerely welcome this opportunity to respectfully learn and grow together.
Membership fee: $360.00 Space in this program is limited. Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email with further program details.
There is also a "pay-what-you-can" option for the 2021 Herb CSA. This sliding-scale option is made possible through kind donations into a "Community Shares Program", hosted by Angie at Fertile Ground and contributed to by CSA members. We want our Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) programs to be accessible to anyone who would enjoy them. If you would like access the sliding-scale option, please reach out! If you would like to donate to this program, please contact me for details.
CSA Members can pick up their shares each month directly from the farm in St. Agatha or at a pick-up location in Kitchener (TBA).
*pick-ups coincide with Fertile Ground veggie CSA pick-ups*
OR boxes can be shipped anywhere in Canada (shipping fees are included at check-out and can be de-selected if you prefer to pick-up).
Finally, I say welcome to all members, whatever your range of experience working with medicinal herbs may be. There will be something here for everyone, and no previous experience is required.
Nikola is a certified Community Herbalist, Ecological Farmer and certified Permaculture Designer. She has been farming for over 10 years and for the past 3 years she's also been running a Herb CSA and community apothecary out of her home. Nikola and Half Moon Herbals moved from the beautiful mountains of BC to the great lakes region in the fall of 2020. Nikola celebrates the respectful use of medicinal plants by all traditional peoples from around the world. She sees local medicine gardening to be as important to community resilience and sustainability as local food growing, and she enjoys teaching and sharing in her role as a community herbalist. Nikola works in the tradition of Western Herbal Medicine.
More questions? E-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org